Skip to main content

First Raised Flower Bed

I've been itching to work in our yard since the day we moved in almost 9 months ago. 

Not a SINGLE plant existed in the whole yard. 

Just a bare yard:

And then we began our gardening project!

It took us about 6 weeks total, mainly because our work schedules didn't align very often, and when they did, we only worked on it for a few hours and only 1 trip to Home Depot each time. 

So we really could have knocked it out in a weekend or two if we really wanted to. 

And it snowed once after we got started (the only snow we got this winter), and we had a few rainy days that set us back, too.

We started the outline of the flower bed. 

We were limited to a 3 foot depth due to the existing termite traps ...what are those called?

We thought it would look nice to have a little focal point at the end:

At this point we had already hauled one tarp-full of dirt/clay and dumped it in the back yard. It was incredibly heavy.

First and second layer of stones down:

...and we had to dig all of that out and haul it to the backyard, too. 

I was not looking forward to it.

Third and final layer of stones put in:

The neighborhood kids were drawn to our activity. 

We offered them dirt and rocks and we had a quick biology lesson including worms and rolly pollies!

Filling it in with "good" dirt:

All 36 bags of it:

Some plants are in! 

We chose Japanese Holly bushes. 

I like the dark green foliage. 

NO berries!

We spent awhile trying to figure out what plant to feature here; I went back and forth between a local nursery and Home Depot trying to find the perfect one.

I settled on a White Azalea.

A little spot for my birdbath:

I love this little birdbath. Except one of the birdies broke off, so it's just sitting there.

All finished!


The front of the house looks SO much better!

I really wanted some hostas, but the front of the house faces almost due east, so that was not going to be a possibility since they are a shade plant.

So I settled for planting a little one in a pot in the shade.

We took a break and walked to the backyard.

We saw a kitty in the window begging us to let him come out (with the sidewalk that leads to nowhere, haha!).

I think our next project will be fixing the backyard.



Popular posts from this blog

DIY Produce Rack

I have seen some cool ideas on Pinterest for ways to store fresh fruits and veggies using fun buckets or storage bins that are anchored to the wall. I think that would be a fun way to store food in a kitchen where counter space is limited.
Just like my kitchen.
I was in Ross the other day - a store very similar to TJMaxx - when I had a light bulb moment when I laid my eyes on this:

A simple hanging shower caddy.
I immediately thought of all those pins of wall produce storage ideas, so I snatched the shower caddy for a mere $6.99!

And this is what I made!

So here is what you'll need:
My kitchen is also short on wall space, so I was assuming I'd either have to hang it someplace weird, or hang it on the end of my cabinets.
So I picked up a few of these command hooks:
One pretty one for the top, and two smaller ones for extra support at the bottom, and also to keep it from swinging. Be sure to pay attention to how many pounds the hooks can hold - produce can get pretty heavy, so…

The MamaRoo Review

Ever wondered if the MamaRoo baby swing is worth the money?

Here is my review, and hopefully after reading this, you will be able to decide if it's a good purchase for your family!
As a first-time mom, I had a lot on my shopping list for our baby girl. My goal was to search for good deals on quality products. We had planned on me being a stay-at-home mom, so we tried to be frugal to keep that goal a reality. At the same time, however, we had been trying to get pregnant for 4 years, and we had been dreaming of our little Ava Mckenzie for more like 5 or 6 years. So when we found out I was finally pregnant, we couldn't wait to spoil her!
I had seen the MamaRoo before and I thought it was a brilliant concept for a swing. Different motions and speed options made so much sense to me. My impulsive brain said, "I want it!", while my practical brain said, "It costs too much!".
I had been doing a really good job at not buying the most over-the-top things for my baby,…

The Must-Have Hair Product: Aquage Uplifting Foam

I have been on the hunt for this supposed liquid (well, foam) magic for awhile now - Aquage Uplifting Foam. I must give credit where credit is due - I first heard of this exclusive hair product from The Small Things Blog. Kate has a phenomenal blog full of informative videos showing how to style hair, not to mention her cute outfits she blogs about, too! Please, please be sure to spend some time on her blog - it has been so helpful for me; I'm sure you will all love it, too!

Anyway, I had to look up online where to find it locally because it is not sold in all salons. I went to Aquage's website to look up where I could find it here.

I was so excited to try it! I started by towel drying my just washed hair, and making little parts all over my head and spraying the Aquage in it. Then I rubbed it in a little, and then blow dried my hair. For a detailed video, check out Kate's video here. This video is how I learned to do it! :)

After my hair was dry, I could already tell ther…